Sunday, October 26, 2008

Innocence Lost

Ah, Ruth; Desperately trying to hang on to the vestiges of her childlike innocence, surrounded by brains saturated with an almost encyclopedic knowledge of all things prurient.

I would agree that her ignorance of alternative, deviant, and downright abhorrent lifesyles has been reduced dramatically in the past few years.  What I find interesting is that Ruth and Sheldon were musical partners for many many years, during which Sheldon seems to have shared nary a whit of his extensive understanding of these matters.  And yet when I show up, the dam seems to have burst, and Sheldon now appears to consider band rehearsals to be an outlet for his aberrant wit.

(sigh)

Therein lies the rub.  Am I co-defendant or catalyst?   Co-conspirator or witless chucklehead?  I may never know …   It is a zero-sum, chicken:egg game.

When it comes down to it really, to coin a blues phrase,  "...'taint no thang, I s'pose."

And I for one welcome Ruth's newfound understanding of the broader world around her.  

However, in deference to Gentle Paul, I also am beginning to understand the value of subtlety and nuance.

Hey!  I've learned something in this band.

--- H

1 comment:

  1. Subtle nuance, as taught by Paul Freeman:
    - "Chafing could be a problem."
    - "Could've used a little more tamborine in that shuffle, but other than, it was perfect."
    - "(Whispered) Don't play that now."

    ReplyDelete